vendredi 28 septembre 2012

Fall look

Hello! These items have been finished for about a week, but the weather hasn't been very good, so we took some pictures today. First of all there is a silk skirt I made with some thai silk a family member brought me from a trip in Thailand. I used a vintage pattern and am quite pleased with the result. The only downside is that I was a little short of fabric, and one of the skirt panels had to be cut sideways... Doesn't show that much, though. I also knitted a new beret for myself with some beautiful Irish yarn my neighbor brought me from his last trip to Ireland. I didn't make the sweater or the silk scarf.



I used this pattern for the skirt, but I cut it at the waist, added a waistband and made the skirt shorter. 

Skirt front




My awesome beret! I took the pattern from Drops Design, in the women's accessories category





And now time for a little walk to enjoy the beautiful fall colors while it lasts!!


lundi 17 septembre 2012

Miss Dashwood

Hi!! I know, third post in three days, I'm on fire!! The thing is, I have the bad habit of starting a zillion projects at the same time, and then leaving them unfinished until I take the time to do so. These last few days, it seems like all my projects (or at least a few) are getting finished at the same time! This dress, was made last december (I think) and didn't have an underskirt. I had cut said underskirt a few months ago because I wanted to wear it at a costumer's picnic, but I wasn't able to attend, and the dress and it's unsewn underskirt have been laying beside my sewing machine since then. This morning I finally took the time to put it together, and bonus, the wonderful autumn light called for a photoshoot!! Oh and by the way, I'd like to thank my mom who has been my official photographer these last few days!!

Anyway, here is my Regency dress, or my ''Miss Dashwood'' dress as I like to call it, because my favorite Austen character is Marianne Dashwood (the romantic one, just like me, hah!).

I know my bust is very modern looking, I haven't made proper short stays to go with the dress yet...


Oh and if you notice, about halfway through the pictures, my pink ribbon is replaced by a red one. Which one do you prefer? I think I like the red one better...



The hairdo was achieved with the help of this tutorial here







How do you do?


And of course I had to do a tragic heroine pose!

Oh and I also finished my corded petticoat for my Young Victoria outfit:


I made it with old bedsheets and used cotton yarn for the cording, and a satin ribbon to tie it. It's not the best looking thing ever, but it'll do the job...



See you next time!!



dimanche 16 septembre 2012

Pirate costume!

Wow I've never been that efficient in just a few days, but I finished my latest costume just this morning AND Took the pictures because the weather if fabulous. At first I said it was sort of a 18th century ''hippy'' but I kinda like the pirate idea (thanks to many viewings of pirate films while making the costume). Anyway, It's awesome and I love it!! Here are some pictures!

Oh and I've just ordered a pair of black Pompadours from American Duchess, so try to imagine that same costume, but with the Pompadours!















Hope you like it!! 

samedi 15 septembre 2012

1840s stays!

Hi! Here are some pictures of my late 1830's-early 1840's stays at last!! A little reminder: I made these stays for a ''Young Victoria'' style dress That I have yet to make. I used this 1820-1840's corset pattern, but with a few modifications, because I want to make an off-shoulders dress. I took away the shoulder straps, and added some boning down the back and side back seams. All of it is entirely hand sewn and hand embroidered, and all the eyelets are hand made. I used two paint sticks for the busk, and steel boning where needed. The fabrics I used are cotton for the outer layers and linen for the inner layers, for a total of 2 layers, plus twill tape at the waist. I also corded part of the corset as well as all the seams. 

And now for the pictures!!

The chemise I'm wearing underneath is not the one I'll be using in the final costume. I haven't made that one yet, but I've already scaled the pattern and it's ready for cutting. 


I used double face satin ribbon for the lacing. 


Here you can see some of the embroidery! You may notice that the fabric buckles a little bit... maybe it's because of the fabric choice, or I might not have payed enough attention when I made the mockup. I'll know better next time. Still, I'm quite proud of the general result!





Please try not to pay any attention to my horrible black jeans! I haven't made my period pantaloons or petticoats yet!










I hope you like it! I especially like the last few pictures with the sunflowers. As for my 18th century pirate/hippy costume, it's almost done!! I'll finish it tomorrow, the only thing left to do is to hem the skirt and set the waistband on the corded petticoat!