Adventures in corset-making

Sorry it's been so long since I last posted. I had a few things going on and I didn't take the time to post about my progess. I was at the point where it was time to insert the boning. I has a little problem, though: I bought steel boning in continuous lenght and hadn't realized I would need something to coat the ends after cutting. I wrote on the flickr page for the sew-along and was told I needed Plasti-dip. I soon realized that no store whatsoever in montreal had that product, and after a quick search learned that this product was not selling in Canada... So I embarked on a journey of trying to find something to replace it with. The fact that the boys at the hardware store didn't understant what I wanted to do didn,t help much '' you want to put steel in a piece of clothing ??!?! what for? And why do you have to coat your steel?!?!?''

Some guy in the car department told me to buy some car repair stuff, but only after buying did I read the notice that said '' highly toxic, use gloves, a breathing mask and protective glasses. Do not let it touch your skin or your clothing''. After searching through what I had at home, hoping something could do the job, I found this little tube of sillicone...

It's basically kitchen and bathroom sillicone, fot joints and such... but it said it workes with metal so i gave it a try. 

 
Here is the boning drying. After a forst try with one bone, I decided the sillicone was okay, so I did the rest of them. If you count them, you'll see there are two extras ones that aren't even the right size. These two are for my 1840's stays. 

The boning is in! It was a little bit harder to slide in because of the sillicont, but i managed it nonetheless. Sorry the pictures are sideways, I forgot to turn them and my computer is slow today so it would have taken too long to delete, turn and re-upload :(


Bias on the top and below the lace was added. Pretty, isn't it?






Satin ribbon laces added... can't wait to try it on!!


Commentaires