1840's stays done!

Hello! my insane hand-sewn 1840's stays have been basicaly done for a little while now, but I was still missing the busk. Yesterday I finally got over my laziness on the ubject and went to the garden shed to see what I couls find. I ended up with two paint sticks (I figured one wouldn't be sturdy enough). I'll still have to tape them together, though, because they are quite nattow and tend to move around in my busk pocket. I also have to go buy some white satin ribbon for the laces, because the shoelaces I used to put it on yesterday are not only ugly, but there isn't enough to lace it all the way. I had to skip a bunch of eyelets,  which explains the wrinkling down the sides.

I still have to make a proper shift. I'll make a period accurate one, off shoulders with the short tight sleeves. Kind of like the one Emily Blunt wears in Young Victoria. The pattern is already drafted, I just need to cut it and sew it.

Once I'm done with these, I'll have some proper pictures taken. And by then summer will be probably be here, so I'll have a nice green backround instead of all the brownish naked trees and dead grass we have right now.


Front. There is something weird going on with the left side (my right). I don't know if it's because of the angle of the picture (probably), my posture, the busk moving around, if I just didn't put the corset on straight (which happens often) of if it's the corset itself. I'll look into it. Apart from that, I'm really proud of the result.

Side. I didn't take pictures f the back because of the weird laces. Oh and by the way, the corset is entirely upcycled. The only thing I bought so far are the steel bones and the threads (embroidery and heavy-duty quilting thread).

This is the kind of shift I'm going for. If only the handsome prince came along with it...

Back to my other projects, and hopefully I'll make the shift soon!

Commentaires

  1. Another idea for lacing is using skate laces which are longer than regular shoe laces.

    Great job on the stays!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Thanks! Good Idea for the laces, but I'll probably use double face satin ribbon like my 1911 corset, exept it will be white. :)

    RépondreSupprimer

Enregistrer un commentaire