Little caps/bonnets

As I said in the previous post, I've been working on old fashionned baby bonnets, or caps, as they would have been called in the olden days. I ordered a book called ''The Workwoman'g Guide Containing Instructions in Cutting out and Completing Articles of Wearing Apparel, By A Lady''. It was published in 1840 and my copy is simply a reprint from a scan of the original book. As the title says, it contains instructions and pattenrns to make various items, from undergarments to hats, for babies, women, men, boys and girls. It is truly a fascinating book.




It's full of plates like this, showing the patterns and the finished garments

Ayway, I chose a baby cap pattern in it to try it out, and I am quite pleased with the result. I made three versions of it. Here are some photos. 


The first two give a more classic look. They're made of eyelet and lined with cotton, with white ribbons.


Back view


Then I wanted to try it out with a more modern twist. I chose this pink and cream polka dot fabric, with some cream crepe that has little dots on it. It is lined with cream lining and has pink ribbons. 

lining


The three versions together. 



Commentaires