A Regency Day Dress and Spencer

Hi! So guess what? I'm going to the Jane Austen festival in Bath, England next month!!! Exciting isn't it? It was kind of a last minute decision, but I still had to get ready and bring at least a few costumes. I'll be bringing my white regency dress, but I still needed proper underthings, at least one other dress and something to keep me warm (apparently its super cold in the UK right now).

For the underthings, I made a pair of soft short stays and a long chemise with a pattern from ''Period costumes for stage and screen 1800-1909'' by Jean Hunnissett. Here's how it looks:




The dress is made of baby blue cotton gauze, it's light and comfy and I'm really happy with how it turned out. 


The shoes and clocked stockings are also by American Duchess, and these regency inspired slippers can be laced up with ribbons. Next time I will lace them up, because her shoes start at a size 6, and since I'm a size 5 1/2 thay are always a tiny bit too big. 



And last but not least my red wool Spencer. I had this 1980's women's coat my aunt gave me, complete with shoulder pads and huge plastic buttons. The cut was really horrible (I hate 1980's fashion, and it being 2 sizes too large for me didn't help). But it was made with this beautiful red wool and cashmere blend with black wool cuffs. I kapt it knowing I'd find a way to repurpose it. And when I realized I needed a coat to stay warm in English sptember weather, there it was! I made the spencer with the Sense and Sensibility pattern, re-udes the wool, lining and cuffs but used wooden buttons instead of the plastic ones. It was really quickly put together, I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I'm sure it will keep me warm in England!




I will also be bringing some shawls/scarves that I will be able to tie as turbans, which is period appropriate, and will have some feathers and ribbons to decorate the improvised turban. I also made a white reticule so I can carry my camera and money without having to bring a modern purse. 

That's it for the load of picture posts! I may decide to make a last minute ball gown, I haven't made up my mind yet and I want to keep my luggage to a mnimum. Apart from that, my next project in line is the Snow White battle outfit from Once Upon a Time! I've already got some of the fabrics, and the linen undershirt is almost done. 

Have a nice day!



Commentaires

  1. Oh how beautifully done! I LOVE your spencer!! So lovely!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Lovely! I actually need a spencer too, I'll look up that pattern.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Thanks! Yes I loved the pattern, it came together really quickly and looks good!

    RépondreSupprimer

Enregistrer un commentaire